About The Academic Friends of Israel
The Academic Friends of Israel was formed in 2002 to fight the academic boycott of Israel and anti–Semitic incidents on University campuses as well as the anti-Israel policies of the UK education unions. The AFI is not affiliated to any political party or any religious grouping either in the U.K. or Israel and works closely with the Board of Deputies for British Jews and the Union for Jewish students.
1. To fight the academic boycott of Israel and all other forms of anti-Semitism in the UK and International academic and scientific arenas.
2. To monitor and react to the anti-Israel polices and statements in the UK and International academic and scientific arenas.
3. To ensure that Israeli academics and scientists are included and accepted in global academic and scientific circles.
4. To regularly update members as to problems regarding Israel, the Unions, Students, anti-Semitism at Universities and colleges.
5. To monitor and react to the policies of the academic Trade Unions towards Israel and the Jewish members of staff.
6. To promote pro–Israel policies within the Trade Unions and encourage AFI members to become active members of their Unions and promote pro–Israel policies within their union.
7. To provide a support network for AFI members working in UK higher education.
Ronnie Fraser, MA
The Chief Rabbi, Sir jonathan Sacks
Dr Manfred Gerstenfeld - Chairman of the Board of Fellows, Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs.
Henry Grunwald Q.C. - President of the Board of Deputies of British Jews
John D A Levy - Director of the Academic Study Group on Israel and the Middle East
Andrew R. Marks, M.D. - Columbia University, USA
Dr Robin Stamler
Professor Leslie Wagner CBE
Rt Hon Lord Young of Graffham